Director of Development - Athletics
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Description of Position:
The Southern Illinois University Foundation invites applications for the Director of Development for Saluki Athletics. The individual in this position is responsible for a portfolio of major gift prospects and is expected to identify, cultivate, and solicit private financial support from alumni and friends of Southern Illinois University Carbondale. The successful candidate will be a member of the development staff and report to the CEO of the SIU Foundation and work in conjunction with the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics. Extensive travel, including nights and weekends, is required. The salary for this position is commensurate with experience with both internal equity and external competitiveness.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Orchestrate and execute the advancement of relationships with prospective donors through appropriate stages of qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship culminating in private philanthropic support.
- In consultation with the CEO of the SIU Foundation, and the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics, identify and establish personal contact with current and prospective major gift donors whose interest and financial capacity align with university and foundation goals.
- Secure new gifts and commitments for SIU Carbondale. Conduct documented face-to-face personal visits, qualify new major gift prospects annually, and submit major proposals. Manage a large portfolio of prospects.
- Collaborate with appropriate development and academic staff to develop prospect strategies and build relationships.
- Set specific goals and objectives to effectively advance solicitation of major gifts.
- Develop a working knowledge of planned giving and work with the SIU Foundation's Director of Gift Planning, to develop strategies for appropriate solicitation of planned gifts.
- Become familiar with and understand key initiatives of the university relating to faculty, students, instruction, and research.
- Prepare proposals and gift agreements as required for proper gift documentation.
- Ensure effective records maintenance, including timely filing of requests for prospect assignments, prospect strategies and contact reports using the SIU Foundation's prospect management system.
- Provide stewardship of gifts including acknowledgement, coordination of recognition events, and dedications.
- Report regularly on the progress of annual action plans.
- Meet annual metrics and goals established at the beginning of each fiscal year.
- Participate in weekly development staff meetings, monthly one-on-one meetings, a mid-year performance discussion, and a performance evaluation with the CEO of the SIU Foundation.
- Protect confidential information.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree and a minimum of two years' successful professional experience in fundraising or related non-profit organization work, alumni relations, public relations, marketing, or closely related field. A bachelor's degree or master's degree in non-profit management or closely related subject may be substituted for the two years' of experience. Must have a valid driver's license.
Preferred Qualifications: Professional fundraising experience in higher education, health-care or other non-profit organization.
Application Deadline: Applications must be completed through jobs.siu.edu by August 6, 2021, or until filled.
Application Procedure: Visit jobs.siu.edu "Administrative/Professional Job Postings" to create an account and apply.
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Contact: Darla Peterman at email@example.com or 618/453-7175
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.